Last Seen
28 Nov 2021
Topics
Discord
Elektra311#9125
IGN
Elektraaa

**Vanilla Nether Tunnel Design Competition**

It’s that time again!  We need a new nether tunnel design for our upcoming 1.18 Caves and Cliffs vanilla map and we want YOU to design it!  We’ll let the community vote on which design they like best.  The winning design will be reproduced in all 4 of our main nether tunnels. The winning tunnel will help inspire the design of the Nether Hub.

What should I design you ask?  We have some guidelines, but it’s ultimately up to you!  We want your best and most creative ideas.  Don’t worry too much about the expense of the materials.  We have a strong community and resources are essentially endless.  However, be realistic with your expectations.  As fun as it might be, we really can’t build tunnels out of diamond or netherite blocks.  

To get you started, here are the basic criteria:

• Photos of the templates are posted below along with a downloadable schematic.  The design can also be found on the central plot in the creative plot world; follow it for the foundation of your design. 
  • The red sections are doorways for personal tunnels.  Please note that they are 5 blocks wide.  You can include a solid block to cover it or a fence/gate system to keep mobs from entering.
  • The blue wall sections are your design; this can be up to 8 blocks tall (shown with iron blocks), unless you want the bedrock ceiling as part of your design.  We’ve marked a bedrock border on the template to help guide you.
  • To ensure your tunnel design is spawn proof, the floor MUST contain glass, slabs, and an ice path (regular ice only since blue and packed are spawnable); you can design up to 2 blocks under the glass (shown in yellow and white blocks) but please DO NOT include a large under section.
  • There MUST be trap doors set above the ice path at the top side of the second block (see pic for reference)
  • Please make your design elytra flying friendly.  This means that there should be a smooth area in at least part of the design that allows players to fly without getting caught on any blocks such as stairs, walls, chains, lanterns, etcetera.
  • We strongly encourage you to place your design on a creative plot and include the coordinates when you submit it.      

You MAY submit multiple designs if you feel inspired!  

When you are ready to show off your work, please post your submission here with pictures showing multiple angles of your design.  Voting will feature only one of your photos so please include the photo you’d like us to use for this first.  We suggest that it shows off the complete design.

All designs must be submitted by Saturday, December 4th at 8pm EST.  After that, the community will have the opportunity to vote for their favorite design.  The winning design will be reviewed by staff to make sure it meets the above criteria.  Staff reserve the right to modify the design if needed.

In addition to having their design implemented, the winner will receive a Wild Card Collectible named for them.

Download the litematica schematic template here

Template Photos

Front numbered view with height and width block counts.  The White sections are optional extra build space. 

Template front image with numbers

Outside of tunnel side

inside side view

Top View

Sign Details

x1   x1
Elektraaa · 8 days ago · Last edited: 8 days ago
Syntaxvgm

Syntaxvgm

Last Seen
30 Nov 2021
Topics
IGN
Syntaxvgm

This design is made to be cheap to build. Consisting primarily of deepslate and basalt, with the most expensive being terracotta. It's a dark design using no black dye. - edit: based on ReiA's suggestion I've changed the terracotta color to light gray. It does generate naturally. 

The only non farmable or easily obtainable in mass material is the glazed terracotta and white concrete for the doors. 
I've skipped chains to hang the trapdoors to avoid elytra bonking. 

Both sides have a 2 wide soul soil path for soul speed and a row of glowstone under the carpet. The glowstone is not visible, so its replaceable with jack o lanterns, shroom lights, or sea lanterns, whichever is easiest for us to farm. The top uses sea lanterns sparingly, we dont need much. 

Despite being close to the edge, the glowstone will not melt personal tunnel ice. The exposed spawnable blocks have the light level to prevent spawns in the nether. 

Come check it out at my creative plot. 2;3 
223, 317

x1
Syntaxvgm · 7 days ago · Last edited: 7 days ago
StefFaFaFa

StefFaFaFa

Last Seen
25 Nov 2021
Topics
IGN
StefFaFaFa

Figured I'd throw my name into the hat - Pretty basic design using mostly easy-to-source materials. Stuck with the glass floors, with a slight layering for a fog effect. The only "difficult" to source block is the waxed cut copper slabs in the ceiling, but due to the 1.18 changes to raw copper drops, introduction of mountain veins and the 4x volume off of cutting copper in a stonecutter the only real issue might be waxing.

Rest of materials is a combination of deepslate, stone, and polished granite/diorite/andesite, with a little nether bricks and some chiseled blackstone.

Oh, and the blocked tunnel entrance arrows would point towards the hub.

Creative Tyme plot 4:1
435, 19

x2   x1
StefFaFaFa · 7 days ago · Last edited: 7 days ago
Syntaxvgm

Syntaxvgm

Last Seen
30 Nov 2021
Topics
IGN
Syntaxvgm

The forum system reposted when I did an edit. Ignore

Syntaxvgm

Syntaxvgm

Last Seen
30 Nov 2021
Topics
IGN
Syntaxvgm

With this design, I wanted a bright and natural nether tunnel. Still has soul speed, and I removed the divider to allow you more elytra room, ability to just walk across without that annoying jump into a small space, and the ability to go around people from the UK who use their boats on the wrong side of the road. No traffic jams! 
The colors of the plants will show you if you're heading to or away from spawn. 

The only disadvantage of this design is I'd likely submit a very long schematic in order to go through and make the moss and cracked block placements more randomized, and not an obvious pattern when you boat through. 

Materials are cheap!

https://i.imgur.com/3JBIUfA.mp4

Come check it out at my creative plot. 2;3 
223, 317

x1   x1
AlexaTheRaichu

AlexaTheRaichu

Last Seen
27 Nov 2021
Topics
IGN
AlexaTheRaichu

My tunnel design is comprised of birch, deepslate, quartz, and glass with a terracotta subfloor and potted azalea accents. Lanterns provide soft lighting, and the player tunnel entrances are blocked with white concrete and carpet. I retained the chains because I felt they did still add something nice to the design, but it should still be possible to fly along the ceiling.

I wanted to create a design with a cheerful atmosphere as a strong counter to the dim hellscape of the nether. I'm a newcomer to Vanilla Tyme and I'm thankful for the chance to participate in this contest!

My creative plot is -1,-4.
-169, -509

x1   x2
AlexaTheRaichu · 6 days ago
Syntaxvgm

Syntaxvgm

Last Seen
30 Nov 2021
Topics
IGN
Syntaxvgm

My final design i totally promise. This one ended up a block wider...I'm not sure how I managed that.
Not as cheap but kinda cool look I think. No soul speed, even more room for flying. 

This one is also in plot 2;3 to preview. 

x2
Syntaxvgm · 6 days ago
FloppingWolfies

FloppingWolfies

Last Seen
25 Nov 2021
Topics
IGN
FloppingWolfies

My creative plot is 0; -3.

My tunnel is made up of deepslate bricks and polished deepslate for the designated walking area as well as tuff, stone, and cobblestone for the ceiling, while the pushed in part of the wall has a moss backing with leaves covering (which can be removed as necessary), as well as glow berries and lanterns hanging from the ceiling. Below glass is made up of randomized deepslate, cobbled deepslate, stone, and deepslate copper ore as well as patches of amethyst, moss, and drip stone. 

https://imgur.com/a/onfyL1W

(I'm not sure how to insert photos so here a imgur link)

FloppingWolfies · 4 days ago · Last edited: 4 days ago
Cajsa_

Cajsa_

Supporter
Last Seen
28 Nov 2021
Topics
IGN
Cajsa_

♥ AZALEA-HIGHWAY | -1;1 ♥

Hii so this my tunnel design. I went with a cosy-cute theme which I think is a good representation of the server. It has the sweetness of vanilla with a tymeless design. This highway has smooth shroomlightning, shining through the azalea leaves. 

x1
Cajsa_ · 3 days ago
RollingChaos

RollingChaos

Last Seen
26 Nov 2021
Topics
IGN
RollingChaos

Simple throwback to our beloved desert spawn.  Made from simple to gather materials this design was made to be quick and easy to construct while still looking classy. On display at my creative plot 4,0 stop by and check it out.

x1
RollingChaos · 3 days ago